Monday, August 4, 2008

Ubuntu vs Mac OS

So I recently bought an iMac, and I love it! I still have my dell laptop which has Ubuntu on it. Funny thing is that I recently switched over from OpenSuse to Ubuntu. IMO Ubuntu was easier to install from OpenSuse. Of course taking into account that I had installed OpenSuse on a purely Windoze box, all the fun stuff involving partitioning was already done for me. Anyway I did spend a few weeks with Ubuntu installing software and configuring my desktop so I do have some sort of an experience with it.

So If I have a laptop, why do I need another personal machine??
I have always wanted a machine with Mac OS on it. I used the Apples sparingly at Emory, but never truly got the hang of it. Ever since my husband got a mini, we sort of started replacing all our machines at home to either Apple TVs or Mac minis. I never really had the need for another machine since my Dell was good enough for all my side-project development machine. Or let me rephrase - I was happy with my laptop for the last 4 years. I do have a few issues with my Dell right now - I can't test out my web apps on Safari/IE/FF, Its not very fast (tops out at 2G RAM), I don't have a fancy text editor(tried to pimp up gedit to emulate textmate), and well I really wanted a change in my OS.

This last weekend was the tax free weekend. We stood in line at the apple store and were taken care of pretty quickly. After 20 minutes, I was the proud owner of an iMac **and** a free iPod touch! The iMac, designed by Apple in California, is a simply amazing design - the monitor has the entire computer inside it and its still not that thick. The speakers are not bad and I have enough USB ports on the back of the monitor - very sleek.

Once you get the hang of using an Apple machine with the funky Mighty Mouse, and learning your way around the Expose and the million keyboard shortcuts, its a pretty straight-forward OS to interract with. The only thing I might want to complain about is the lack of focus-follows-mouse support in the windows manager. Ever since my school days of playing around with Enlightment, I have been addicted to this very customized preference.

Anyway, other than that, here is a list of differences I see between Mac and Linux -
  1. Ease of installation of software - On Linux, installing a software or application is not the most complicated process, but it takes time - the basic steps are downloading the binary or the tar ball, unzip it, make it, and then copy the files over to /the/proper/location. On an Apple, all you do is download the mac-os-version and copy it to Applications. Thats it - how easy is that.
  2. The Dashboard - On Linux, you would probably need to start up all these applications in a different desktop - there is no dock like functionality. On an Apple, its always there at your beck and call . I like using it without the need to crank up the date app or the calendar app or the weather app.
  3. Fluid - There is no way that I can explain how convenient SSBs are!! I have facebook, hahlo, jango, zimbra mail all opened up as its own little application. There are neat scripts that make the GUI look better and I don't have to bother about whether one app might cause a crash in another. So sure, I could open up different sessions of FF but it is not the same experience. Also, fluid is based on the Safari technology, its a lot faster.
  4. TextMate - Eclipse is way too bloated to code. If I am not writing java code, Eclipse is more of a hassle to use than anything. Textmate is so easy to use, so many different templates and such a simple interface.
  5. iTunes - I have tried to use amarok to sync my ipods. It hasn't been a complete disaster but its not intuitive. iTunes does it the best!
  6. Prettier fonts/design/layout/shadows/GUI - Need I say more - its just prettier!

Hopefully I can code up the next-earth-shattering application on my new beautiful desktop, and then this purchase would be justified!

6 comments:

Just a testing blogger blog said...

To be fair to linux, most non-brain dead distributions have a really easy way to install software. Ubuntu is one such example of a system that does it well.

Sonali said...

Yast on OpenSuse is hardly the easiest software-installer. I have had issues with it in the past.

Mark said...

Sonali,
I hope that you realize that your husband is the Only Person in the Entire World (that i know) that uses the acronym "SSB". Whenever he says it at work people just give him blank looks.

Sonali said...

Mark,
Since my husband introduced me to Fluid, I use the acronym too! He is not very happy with your comment ;)

Anonymous said...

Why put them up against each other when you can mod leopard to run mac and linux apps. I did. Look at fink commander (not real linux apps tho recompiled) I just manuly added the apt-get commands and linux toolkits to macs unix. Then you have linux and mac applications running side by side natively without lag.

Anonymous said...

Installing software in Mac is easy??.I guess that statement is a joke.sudo apt-get install or Ubuntu Software center is much better than mac .First of all how many free good applications Apple Store or other services provides in mac.Apple delivers Mac in a server like (8 cpu 8 gB RAM and i7) hardware and it still runs slow.